Saturday, March 21, 2009

Starting to get our "country gear!"

Today we went to a discount store in a nearby town. We hadn't been there in years, but they are known for having a wide variety of gloves and good prices. I figured we'd all need some work gloves for projects on the property. What a fun store for hard working guys (and even their wives)! They had every style of glove you can think of and many you've never heard of before-leather palm, liners, cutproof, rubber, work, mechanic, winter, leather, jersey . . . We got leather palm gloves for the whole family for $.59/pair! We also bought some winter gloves and a hat for next year ($1.50 ea), socks-regular and themal, safety goggles, drill bits, batteries (AA 4 packs for $.69), and duct tape. I'm going to put some of this stuff in a backpack to keep in the pole barn over at the property-then we'll always have it there.

I'm wondering what else we can keep out there. Certainly we'll need some first aid supplies. I dug out an oil lamp we received as a gift many years ago to take out there. It'd be nice to keep some water and maybe snack foods, but the pole barn has a dirt floor and I'm sure there are critters living in it at this point--so food's probably not a good idea unless I can store it in a glass jar or something else they can't get into. I wouldn't trust Rubbermaid--I bet critters can chew through that!

We are on the lookout for a good deal on a trailer to use for hauling things like lumber etc . . . We're thinking a used 6'x8' or something along those lines. Josh though about getting a beater truck, but decided a trailer will work just as well and be a lot cheaper. We can just store it out there.

The yogurt making is going well. I made a batch of plain the other day. Putting the jars into bowls of warm water does the trick. Do that at night and it's set in the morning. I liked it with a bit of honey added. The kids liked it with honey and vanilla. Tonight I'm planning to make another batch using my current batch as starter. I've heard that it sets up better the more times you use the starter.

No comments:

Post a Comment