Saturday, March 28, 2009

Soap???

Well, today I made my first attempt at soaping. I attempted to make 1# of natural, unscented soap. It may or may not turn out. The book said to stir until it traces, which basically means until it thickens. It was supposed to take 10-20 minutes. I stirred for 45 minutes-no trace. Eventually I just poured it into the prepared mold. I checked it a few hours later and it looks like it might be turning into soap. In 2 days I can take it out of the mold and cut into bars. At that point I'll know--it'll either be soap or it will be a caustic mess.

I also gave my son a haircut today--my 1st successful looking cut. I used the clippers on the back and sides and scissor cut the front and top. He's 11 and doesn't want it very short on top. It actually looks decent--not professional if you look close, but as long as he stays away from the hair police, we'll be good! I saved $14 by doing it myself! :)

1 comment:

  1. Good for you on the soap making! If you use a blender it goes much faster. I use a hand blender, blend then pour into mold without tracing, if you are sure it is hot enough. Too cool and it won't make soap. Hot enough and it will saponify as it cools in the mold.

    You can remove from mold and slice as soon as it is hard.

    ReplyDelete