Monday, May 25, 2009

Learning about hard work

The boys have been learning about hard work this month. They've helped with picking up trash and lifting heavy bins into the dumpster. They've lugged gallons of water around to care for over 50 trees. They've scoured the dirt floor of the pole barn for any nails or screws that could puncture a tire. Today Big Dog became very good at pounding nails out of 2x4s so they could be used again. (You can see the pile he's working on in the photo below.) Both Big Dog and Sweet Pea stacked the nail-free 2x4's along the wall of the pole barn. Those are heavy when you're only 7 and 11 years old! Big Dog has been working especially hard to show his dad he's tough. It's pretty neat to watch. I like to see them working alongside each other.

Josh has got the floor out everywhere except the section under the 2x4s. He's also got the wall down that had the plastic over it. He even put a 2x4 across the top of the new overhead door, much to the displeasure of the sparrow couple that live in the pole barn! (There's still another huge opening along the east side of the roof--don't fret!)

I worked on mowing today and did some more glass removal from a previous trash pile before sowing it with wildflower seeds--Sweet Pea helped.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it neat to see kids wanting to be like their parents? It's really good to see parents setting a good example. It takes a lot of commitment to swim upstream like you guys are! Keep doing it so I can stay inspired!

    Where is the picture!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me old fashioned, but I don't post photos of my kids' faces online. I may post a few of them from the side at a distance though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about the picture too, you're post directs the reader to look at the "photo below."

    Love your blog! My partner and I are looking forward to a move to the country. Maybe next year...

    ReplyDelete