Sunday, April 29, 2012

Busy as a chicken . . .

Well actually chickens aren't really all that busy, but since I don't have any other animals besides dogs I went with it.  I am now the proud owner of 5 laying hens.  I get between 2-5 eggs each day, which is just enough for our family plus 1 dozen to sell to co-workers each week.  So far the chickens are working out really well.  We still need to work out an arrangement for when we go out of town as we sometimes do, but so far so good.

Both Josh and I have heard an unusual, loud, large-sounding animal noise coming from our woods in the last few weeks.  Not sure what it is.  It sure doesn't sound like coyote-we hear those frequently, but we can't even guess what this mystery animal might be.  In the meantime, we need to keep our chickens locked up as dusk falls.  I set the rooster alarm on my cell phone to make sure I don't forget.

This weekend we worked on our berry patches.  We added 4 more blueberry bushes and 3 more raspberries.  Then we mowed the grass really low and covered the whole area (70x8 feet) with plastic to keep the weeds at bay, edged it with landscape timbers and filled it with mulch.  It was a big job and I am feeling it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment